Pommery Champagne


Pommery is the name of a French Champagne house situated within the Reims region of France. Originally founded as the Pommery & Greno house back in 1858, the original purpose of the business was the trading of wool.

Guidance toward the crafting of Champagne saw the partnership soon develop into one of the regions most treasured Champagne brands, subsequently branching out all across the world.


The Pommery Champagne house known and loved today first came to be at the hands of Narcisse Greno, who originally operated his business as one of wool trading back in 1836. The Maison Pommery joined up with the wool company and received a degree of financial support from Henry Vasnier.

Following the death of Maison Pommery during 1858, his wife went on to take the reigns of the company and focus 100% of the business to the production of Champagne. The business flourished and was most recently taken over by the Vranken Monopole group during 2002.

Pommery remains today one of the largest brands currently producing Champagne anywhere in the region, generating several different products throughout the course of the year. 2009 saw varieties that included a Brut Apanage, Brut Royal and a number of diverse Brute Roses, including a spring and autumn variation. The product range also includes the 1998 Grand Cru and the latest variety lovingly referred to as ‘Pop’.


Pommery had traditionally been faced with accusations of inconsistency, though it is abundantly clear that if true, such notions are very much confined to the past.

The general Pommery style these days is light, delicate and about as dependable as any wine to be found worldwide. The Brut Royal non-vintage is made from a blend of 35% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay and 30% Pinot Meunier.

One step up the quality chain is the Brut Royale Apanage, which features 35% Pinot Noir, 45% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Meunier.

The Brut Rose is made from a composition of 40% Chardonnay, 35% Pinot Noir and 25% Pinoit Meunier with added red wine. The flagship wine of the brand, namely the Cuvee Louise is comprised of 60% Chardonnay and the remaining 40% Pinot Noir.


Described as a distinctly lively yet elegant Champagne, Pommery delivers small and assertive notes of red fruits, complimenting a rounded, rich and delicate wine that lingers beautifully. The taste is clean and crisp with no dryness, building toward an overall wine that is truly smooth and never relents on the palate.

Fun fact

The Pommery house currently occupies over 126 acres of land in Reims, featuring a house built in 1858 in spectacular Elizabethan style. The house also features a large cellar and a chalk pit that date as far back as Roman times. At any one moment, the cellar holds almost 20 million bottles at a constant 50 degree Fahrenheit.

Read more in the book “Champagne [Boxed Book & Map Set]: The Essential Guide to the Wines, Producers, and Terroirs of the Iconic Region

More Information: